A spinal cord injury or the onset of any mobility disability is frightening and often overwhelming.
Rehabilitation Counsellors are health and social service providers who work with persons with a mobility disability. They are facilitators, consultants, navigators and often advocates who help find solutions. A Rehabilitation Counsellor is a personal guide who:
- Works one-on-one to brainstorm, plan, solve unmet needs and set goals;
- Has, or can learn and build, the information and resources needed to understand options, make choices and decisions, and to reach goals;
- Helps access services and supports;
- Provides support, encouragement and empowerment to help reach goals.
A Rehabilitation Counsellor may help:
- Get appropriate medical services;
- Find accessible housing;
- Apply to financial programs;
- Find ways to remain at home;
- Locate accessible transportation;
- Prepare for post-secondary education;
- Get a job and/or get involved in adapted sport and recreation.
No goal is too big or too small. Our Rehabilitation Counsellors do what it takes to make it happen!
Would you like to be referred to or refer someone to our free services? Visit our Referrals page.